Who is “The Sloan”?

The name itself is not very common.  I do not believe that it is even in the top 1000 of male nor female names in the United States.  According to the Social Security web site, only in 2008 did even the spelling of “Sloane” appear as the #999 most common female name.  Sloan is surely more common as a last name with this spelling.  I once saw that still only about .018% of last names in the US are Sloan. 

Well, how did I end up with it?  I do not remember exactly.  As I was only present at the VERY end of the story and my very earliest glimmer of a memory that I have is around age 2, I am going from what I remember being told and I do not remember it exactly.  Some suggest an old show from 1979 titled, “A Man Called Sloane” but I was not born in nor near 1979.  Still, there was a character and/or show with a female Sloane character some time before I was born.  My mom-to-be thought it was a neat sounding name and that if she had a little girl some day, she would name her Sloane.  Some time passes, life goes on, and by and by it is time for me to come into the world.  It seems that the Sloane name was a distant memory, UNTIL, while arriving at the hospital, there was a car in the doctors’ lot with “SLOAN” on the license plate and it reminded my expectant mother of the name.  And as this was before knowing the sex of a baby before birth was commonplace she decided that had a girl’s name picked out.  I do not know for sure if they had a boy’s name yet but I do not believe so.  Anyway, I am born and, “It’s a boy!". My mom thought, “Well, Sloan sounds fine as a boy’s name too.” so I am Sloan. 

For as long as I can remember, so probably for my entire life, I have very much liked being named “Sloan”.  It is ALMOST a given that in a room with hundreds of people, if somebody says, “Hi Sloan” they will be talking to me.  Like I said, it is ALMOST a given, so it can be VERY strange to be near another Sloan and hear my name spoken but not addressed to me.  That can be a short story by itself at a later date as I recently had that experience.

To wrap up this first entry, I will say that as this experiment progresses I will try to express how I embrace my true Sloan-ness so you may have the chance to learn The Sloan, feel The Sloan, and experience The Sloan while I, BE The Sloan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using the pool

It can be hard to find time to Be The Sloan